Sunday, August 26, 2012

Slammed


Slammed 
Colleen Hoover

Can a book render your thoughts "speechless"?
3 months after my dad passed away of cancer, I picked up Amy and Roger's Epic Detour (Morgan Matson).
4 months after my dad passed away of cancer, I picked up If I Stay and Where She Went (Gayle Forman).
and now nearly 5 months after my dad passed away of cancer, I pick up Slammed.

Each of these books taught me a little bit about grief and love and acceptance and... Anger.
Colleen Hoover, you took a band that not many people are familiar with ... A band which I love... you took poetry... you took death... real death that I have personally experienced... and you somehow, between the covers, allowed the reader to accept life... or at least think that perhaps life is worth pushing the boundaries. After all that’s what their there for.   

I have never actually read a novel where my chest begins to tighten and I can’t breathe. I hated the feeling yet I welcomed it as best I could.
The poetry, humor, and love that is in this book -- -I just can't really explain it.

So there is my review... this book just made it to the top. This is the best book I have read --- ever. There I said it. So do me a small one, if you read it and don't like it... don't tell me about your opinion because I might punch you in the face. Sorry... that's just what happens when an author - somehow- some way- expresses those deep emotions that you never let anyone know about. I know it's only 8 in the morning but I need a shot of whiskey and a good cry. Peace out.


Before I leave ---
For the past 5 months I have replayed the following song in my head over and over again…
It’s written by Rocky Votolato and titled 20 Degrees
The statues and concrete headstones
never taught you how to stop being alone,
even with so many real people standing around.
you're crossing the dotted yellow line
as the headlights are brightening up your eyes.
the time for hesitation and second thoughts is gone.

and there's only one way left to do this.
you're the spent wood's last ashes 
near the bottom of the fire.
and every time I dive inside 
your salty sea of misery,
you can't hide 
the only thing keeping me alive.

just wish I could've been there to protect you
from everything that happened:
your daddy dying slowly
and your mama leaving faster.
but I know all the shit that broke you
is what keeps our bodies pressed together.
you said, "20 degrees this friday, but california's burning."

and there's only one way left to do this.
you're the spent wood's last ashes 
near the bottom of the fire.
every time I dive inside 
your salty sea of misery,
you can't hide 
the only thing keeping me alive

No comments:

Post a Comment