Point of Retreat
Colleen Hoover
5 Stars
Butterflies,
poetry,
irreplaceable friend (and neighbors),
retreat,
love,
suck-and-sweets,
the past,
doubts,
cars,
buttons,
dryers,
ugly shirts,
stars,
snow,
cheeseburgers,
guitars,
strangers,
broken glass…
and a ballsy road less
traveled (thank you Frost *wink*).
“And all around my memories, you dance...”
-The Avett Brother
“Our war of limbs
And lips
And hands…”
-Will
I get all giddy when I review a book that I am head over
heels for… And then, when I sit down attempting to write and get
every ounce of my love onto my small blog in a big world of blogs… I am at a
loss.
Before reading Point
of Retreat you obviously have to read Slammed.
So don’t be stupid and just read this jumble of my thoughts if in fact you
have not read Slammed --- you will screw everything up.
Will and Lake have been through shit --- no joke…
They haven’t
just lost one parent, they have lost two…
And in case you don’t know, and I pray you never do,
losing a
parent is nothing short of a glimpse of hell…
Yet, in some weird twist of life, they ended up raising
their baby brothers, together.
The sheer power of their love makes me weak---
Point of Retreat is written from Will’s
POV. Which is so very wonderful…
He is a pure romantic… and poet… and even though in Slammed he was a bit uptight, it’s
apparent in POR he has let himself go.
This crazy family has so much love --- and Julia, Lake’s mom
--- who passed away of cancer, has an extremely strong presence in this novel…
So beautifully displayed in a vase of paper stars.
“Sometimes two people
have to fall apart to realize how
much they need to fall back together”
–Author Unknown
When Will’s ex-girlfriend makes an unexpected entrance into their
world --- Lake begins to doubt the love that Will professes to her daily. She
breaks the poor man’s heart and of course is the flaming definition of
irrational --- *sighs* Yet, I get it… everything about them seems circumstantial… And the last
thing any person wants to do is commit to a fleeting love… fleeting doesn’t
last, at least not for very long.
“Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience.” –Ralph Waldo
Emerson
“So if you could find it in your heart
To give a man a second start
I promise things won’t end the same.”
- - The Avett Brothers
Hands Remember – Seabear
A little piece of Lake
In short ;)
This book is far too deep – for me at least- to review.
So, if you loved Slammed
then you must know where this crazy family goes…
I very much so need a third book. There are so many things I
need closure on… Perhaps we can have a discussion about it after you read it.
Big smiles and high fives! Colleen Hoover created an emotional mess of things
that make the world go round.
“Are you aware the shape I'm in?
My hands they shake, my head it spins.”
- -The Avett Brothers
No comments:
Post a Comment